You and your employer must make sure you can work off campus without a work permit before you start working.

  • If you start working off campus but don’t meet the requirements, you may have to leave Canada.
  • You can only start working in Canada when your study program has started. You can’t work before you start your studies.
  • If you’re able to work during your studies, it will say so in the conditions on your study permit.
  • If you’re eligible for off-campus work, you don’t need a work permit.

Eligibility Requirements

You can work off campus without a work permit if you meet all of these requirements:

  • You’re a full-time student
  • Your study program:
    • Is at least six (6) months long and
    • Leads to a degree, diploma or certificate
  • You’ve started studying
  • You have a Social Insurance Number (SIN)

Once you no longer meet these eligibility criteria (e.g. if you transition to part-time enrolment or your study permit expires), you must cease off-campus employment. For additional details, please refer to the Work off Campus page on the IRCC website.

Should you have any additional inquiries and would like to be connected with an International Student Advisor, please feel free to reach out to You can also visit them in person on campus or book an online consultation via the MyFCT Portal.

Back to top