What is a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)?

A temporary resident visa (TRV) is an official counterfoil document issued by a visa office that is placed in a person’s passport to show they have met the requirements for admission to Canada as a temporary resident. You can find out if your country requires a TRV by visiting the IRCC website.

How to Apply for a New Temporary Resident Visa

If you have recently extended your status in Canada (e.g. extended your study permit), IRCC will not automatically issue you a visitor visa. You may require a new TRV.  The TRV application is a separate application from a permit extension application and can be made after the new permit has been issued.

For more details, please review this page on the IRCC website: Temporary residents: Eligibility for extending temporary resident status.

For detailed steps and necessary documents for Temporary Resident Visa Extension applications, please refer to Guide 5551 on the IRCC website.

To check processing time (subject to change), visit IRCC’s processing time page.

Should you have any additional inquiries and would like to be connected with an International Student Advisor, please feel free to reach out to isa@flemingcollegetoronto.ca. You can also visit them in person on campus or book an online consultation via the MyFCT Portal.

Back to top