What is a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)?

Post-Graduation Work Permits (PGWPs) are for international students who have graduated from a PGWP-eligible Canadian Designated Learning Institution (DLI). This is an “open” work permit, which means that you can work for any employer anywhere in Canada. The duration of a PGWP depends on the length of your study program. It’s a once-in-a-lifetime application – you can only apply once.

A work permit granted through the PGWP can be issued for the duration of the study program, with a maximum limit of three years. The PGWP's validity cannot exceed the length of the student's study program, which must be at least eight months in duration.

Please check the IRCC website to find out if you fulfill the eligibility criteria for applying for a Post-Graduation Work Permit.

For detailed steps and a list of necessary documents for PGWP applications, please refer to Guide 5580 on the IRCC website.

How to Apply for a PGWP

To apply for a PGWP, applicants need to do so within 180 days of receiving official confirmation, like a graduation letter and transcript indicating program completion. For students at Fleming College Toronto, this date matches the one on the Letter of Completion (LOC).

For applicants already in Canada, a valid status (e.g. student or visitor) is necessary for PGWP applications. Since study permits usually expire 90 days after program completion, in-Canada PGWP applicants generally need to apply within 90 days, not the full 180 days.

To check processing time (subject to change), visit IRCC’s processing time page.

Should you have any additional inquiries and would like to be connected with an International Student Advisor, please feel free to reach out to isa@flemingcollegetoronto.ca. You can also visit them in person on campus or book an online consultation via the MyFCT Portal.

Back to top